Church of St John the Evangelist, High Street, Penge SE20 - Bromley

The church was designed by John Nash and Edwin Nash of Bermondsey in the Early English style and completed in 1849. It is built of ragstone with Bath stone dressings, including the spire. The church suffers from water ingress at roof and lower levels, and dampness at lower levels. High level repairs were completed in 2013 at the east end, grant-aided by Historic England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Further repairs are required to the west end. Discussions are on-going between Historic England and the church regarding a development scheme, which is expected to include these repairs.

Church of St John the Evangelist, High Street, Penge SE20 - Bromley
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1186832
    Local Planning Authority:
    Bromley
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John the Evangelist
    Street Name:
    High Street
    Locality:
    Penge
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Bromley
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Lewisham West and Penge
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA