CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1186832
Date first listed:
15-Jan-1990
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:56:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35351 70417

Details

The following building shall be added:

PENGE HIGH STREET TQ 37 SE 1/505 Church of St John The Evangelist GV II

Church. 1849 by John Nash and Edwin Nash of Bermondsey in early English style, with north and south aisles enlarged in 1861 and north and south transepts added, nave lengthened and new chancel added in 1866. Built of Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings and slate roof with alternate bands of plain and curved slates and ridge tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, chancel, transepts and south porch and north vestry. West tower with spire is 150 feet high. Lower in 3 stages with buttresses. Lower stage has trefoliated headed doorcases with corbel heads 2nd stage has lancet window and clock face. 3rd or bell stage has paired louvred lancets. Stone spire has lucarnes and cockerel weathervane. South aisle has gable with lancet, rose window underneath and 2 lancets below to west face. 3 traceried windows to south. South porch approached up a flight of 5 stone steps. Gable with saddlestone and quatrefoil light. Arched doorcase with colonnettes and corbels and elaborate double door with traceried design. Transept has large gable with trefoil window and 5 lancets with 1 arched window below. North aisle has quatrefoil with traceried window below to west front, 4 arched windows separated by buttresses to north front and transept has similar arrangement to south transept with trefoil window, 5 lancets but arched doorcase below. Lower chancel has lancet window and vestry built on to the north. Interior has nave with arcading on octagonal stone piers and wooden post of arched braced type. North aisle contains the King Edward VII window (the King was 29th in direct descent from Earl Harold Godmisson the 1st known Lord of Penge). It contains the figures of Temperance and Hope 'after' Burne Jones and was executed by William Morris and Co in 1910. Elaborate pulpit with figure of St John the Evangelist said to have been copied from St Bartholomew's Sydenham.

Listing NGR: TQ3535170417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358652
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/01316/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Gamble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].