Church of St Andrew the Less, Newmarket Road, Cambridge - Cambridge

Abbey church of early C13 date consisting of chancel and nave. Rubble with some dressed stone. Built by Barnwell Priory on original Augustinian site. The church was restored 1854-6; the vestry and organ-chamber added in the late C19. Walls, roof and churchyard in very poor condition. Discussions taking place with Diocese about reuse of building by congregation associated with Christ Church. Project has been delayed. Additional funding to be sought for repairs.

Church of St Andrew the Less, Newmarket Road, Cambridge - Cambridge
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST ANDREW THE LESS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1126143
    Local Planning Authority:
    Cambridge
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Andrew the Less
    Street Name:
    Newmarket Road
    Locality:
    Cambridge
    County:
    Cambridgeshire
    District / Borough:
    Cambridge
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Cambridge
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA