Mausoleum, east of Seaton Delaval Hall, Seaton Delaval, Seaton Valley - Northumberland (UA)

Mausoleum of 1766; the focal point of a walk to the east of the Hall, overlooking parkland to the south. The Hall was built 1718-29 by Vanbrugh, with early-C18 landscaping incorporating earlier and later features. The mausoleum is roofless and subject to graffiti and vandalism. Urgent works were funded by Historic England in 1994, but further works are required to the building and its setting.

Mausoleum, east of Seaton Delaval Hall, Seaton Delaval, Seaton Valley - Northumberland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Mausoleum 500 metres east of Seaton Delaval Hall
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1154937
    Local Planning Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Commemorative monument

Location

    Building Name:
    Mausoleum
    Locality:
    Seaton Delaval
    Unitary Authority:
    Northumberland (UA)
    Parish:
    Seaton Valley
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Blyth Valley
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, RPG grade II*, CA