MAUSOLEUM 500 METRES EAST OF SEATON DELAVAL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154937

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM 500 METRES EAST OF SEATON DELAVAL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUSOLEUM 500 METRES EAST OF SEATON DELAVAL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154937 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 06:01:33.

Location

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM 500 METRES EAST OF SEATON DELAVAL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Seaton Valley

National Grid Reference: NZ 32821 76490

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEATON DELAVAL SEATON DELAVAL HALL NZ 3276 13/98 Mausoleum, 500 metres east of 28.7.50 Seaton Delaval Hall GV II* Mausoleum, 1766. Ashlar. Cruciform plan. West elevation 2 storeys, 2+3+2 bays. Plinth, sill bands and triglyph frieze. Centre set forward with steps up to pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico; central doorway has open-pedimented Roman Doric surround with arched fanlight. Round-arched windows in keyed archivolt. Raised crossing with moulded cornice and oak skeleton of formerly lead-covered dome. 2-bay returns show sunk moulded panels. Rear elevation shows central bow with Venetian window above arched opening to vaults.

Interior: crossing shows round arches on moulded imposts with lower semicircular openings above. Arched niches in end and rear walls. Vaults beneath follow cruciform plan, with groin vaulting and partitioned shelves for coffins.

The mausoleum appears never to have been used; traditionally Sir John Delaval could not agree with the Bishop of Durham over a fee for its consecration.

Derelict and roofless at time of survey.



Listing NGR: NZ3282176490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236062

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

End of official listing