Remains of St Mary and All Saints, Old Church Lane, Thundridge - East Hertfordshire

The church was demolished in 1853; only the separately listed three-stage tower (see separate entry for remains of old church tower) remains substantially above ground within the scheduled churchyard and adjacent manorial moated site. The rest of the church (demolished to foundation level) and the churchyard wall are scheduled, with much of the churchyard wall now lost. Buried archaeological remains are also considered to be at risk from vandalism and anti-social behaviour. Discussions regarding local management commenced spring 2019.

Remains of St Mary and All Saints, Old Church Lane, Thundridge - East Hertfordshire
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Thundridgebury moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House, St Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard, Thundridge
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1012268
    Local Planning Authority:
    East Hertfordshire
    Site Type:
    Domestic > Settlement

Location

    Building Name:
    Remains of St Mary and All Saints
    Street Name:
    Old Church Lane
    County:
    Hertfordshire
    District / Borough:
    East Hertfordshire
    Parish:
    Thundridge
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    North East Hertfordshire
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument, LB grade II*, part in RPG grade II*