This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Thundridgebury moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House, St Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard, Thundridge

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Thundridgebury moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House, St Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard, Thundridge

List entry Number: 1012268

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thundridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 17-Oct-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 11560

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated enclosure is unusual for its extensive size, covering up to 2.8ha, and for the range of features it surrounds, involving the manorial complex which includes the remains of Thundridegebury House and St. Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Medieval moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House and St. Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard. The moated enclosure is "D" shaped with external dimensions of approximately 195m north-south by 200m east-west. The surrounding dry moat varies in width between 7m and 20m, but part of the southern arm and the south-east corner is obscured. Three causewayed breaks in the northern arm of the moat are thought to be modern. The interior of the enclosure contains the ruined remains of Thundridgebury House, believed to date from the 16th century. A series of brick foundations indicate the location of the house and outbuildings which were demolished in 1811. Immediately to the south of the house are the remains of St. Mary and All Saints' Church. The upstanding remains of the 15th century church tower, a grade II* listed building, are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included, as are the remains of the adjacent church. The church itself measures some 25m by 12m and is marked out by a series of 0.20m high foundations and wall lines. The church was demolished in 1853. It is surrounded by a disused graveyard defined by an iron fence to the west and brick wall on the other three sides. The graveyard, (now "closed") measures some 60m north-south by 40m east-west and contains numerous gravepits, many marked with stone headstones. Some of the graves are thought likely to date to the Medieval period, with further Medieval deposits preserved in the intervening areas. To the west of the church an irregular series of low earthworks are thought to be the remains of cultivation plots located within the moated enclosure.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
A.S.P., Ordnance Survey Records, (1971)
Smith, F, (1951)
SMR Records, (1987)

National Grid Reference: TL3683117377

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 08:59:43.

End of official listing