MILE CROSS GARDENS
Heritage Category: Park and Garden
List Entry Number: 1001345
Date first listed: 08-Oct-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001345 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 23:54:32.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TG 21833 11310
One of five registered sites in the city of Norwich which form part of a set of public parks laid out in the 1920s and 1930s by the then Parks Superintendent, Captain A Sandys-Winsch.
This pair of 1 acre (c 0.4ha) gardens form part of the Mile Cross housing development. One of the earliest of Norwich city's municipal housing schemes, the layout was prepared between 1925 and 1929 by Professor Adshead and implemented by Captain Sandys-Winsch, a protégé of Thomas Mawson. The intention of the gardens was to allow for two areas of public open space, one the mirror image of the other, which would form the centrepiece of the eastern entrance to the symmetrical estate. The gardens remain (1999) in the ownership of the local authority and are an integral part of the surrounding housing.
The other four registered parks which make up the Sandys-Winsch series are Wensum Park; Waterloo Park; Heigham Park; and Eaton Park.
LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING Mile Cross Gardens lie to the north of the city centre, on the west side of the main Aylsham Road which forms their eastern boundary. Losinga Crescent forms the north, south, and west boundaries and divides the Gardens from the rest of the Mile Cross housing estate to the west. The Gardens are divided by the robinia-lined Suckling Avenue which comes off the Aylsham Road and leads west into the estate.
ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES The entrances to the Gardens lead north and south across broad grass verges which border the central axial Suckling Avenue.
GARDENS A stone and timber pergola originally stood at the entrance to each garden (removed 1999, the stone bases remaining), the two plots being laid out as oval bowling greens. A perimeter path leads round each lawn between grass and the drystone walls supporting the shrubbery banks which enclose them. Semicircular bays for seats are cut into the walls at the centre of each side of the greens. At the far end of each garden stands a classical pavilion, originally flanked to either side by further stretches of pergola (stone bases remaining 1999).
G Goreham, The parks and open spaces of Norwich (1961) The Norwich Parks, (Norwich City Council internal report 1993)
Maps A Sandys-Winsch, Plan of Mile Cross Gardens, 1928 (City Hall, Norwich)
OS 25" to 1 mile: 3rd edition published 1926
Description written: November 1999 Register Inspector: EMP Edited: March 2001
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 2752
Legacy System: Parks and Gardens
This garden or other land is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by Historic England for its special historic interest.
End of official listing