Cast iron footbridge at Perran Mill


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001726.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 23:43:32.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:

Reasons for Designation

The decorative cast iron footbridge at Perran Mill is unique as it was produced by one of the most important beam engine manufacturers, forming part of the infrastructure to the Cornish mining industry. The bridge is a rare example of its non-industrial work, combining function with good quality decorative work.


The monument includes a cast iron footbridge across the River Kennall in Perranworthal. The bridge survives as a five bay cast iron construction of a single span. The walkway was cast in sections and features a diamond pattern for grip with drainage slots. The balustrades are identical and in the Gothic style. Each was cast in a single section. The balustrades feature a bottom rail and narrow lancets with, to the middle rail and above, intersecting pointed arches between the top rails. They were cast at the nearby Perran Foundry, began in 1791, which in its heyday produced some of the largest beam engines ever constructed. The bridge is reputedly one of the last pieces produced by the foundry in 1879. It was moved to its current location in the 20th century following a diversion of the river.

The bridge is Listed Grade II* (63528).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-427575


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 972
Legacy System:


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].