Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1001754
Date first listed: 26-Nov-1928
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001754 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 18:05:03.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SO 50362 33063
Hillfort known as Aconbury Camp, 620m east of Cross In Hand Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Large univallate hillforts are defined as fortified enclosures of varying shape, ranging in size between 1ha and 10ha, located on hilltops and surrounded by a single boundary comprising earthworks of massive proportions. They date to the Iron Age period, most having been constructed and used between the fourth century BC and the first century AD, although evidence for earlier use is present at most sites. The size of the earthworks reflects the ability of certain social groups to mobilise the labour necessary for works on such a monumental scale, and their function may have had as much to do with display as defence. The ramparts are of massive proportions except in locations where steepness of slope precludes easy access. They can vary between 6m and 20m wide and may survive to a height of 6m. The ditches can measure between 6m and 13m wide and between 3m and 5m deep. Access to the interior is generally provided by one or two entrances which often take the form of long passages formed by inturned ramparts and originally closed by a gate located towards the inner end of the passageway. In view of the rarity of large univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the organisation and regional structure of Iron Age society, all examples with surviving archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance.
Despite afforestation and the insertion of tracks and fences, the hillfort known as Aconbury Camp survives comparatively well. The site is a rare example of a univallate hillfort with evidence of a stone revetment and the interior of the hillfort, ramparts and ditch will contain layers and deposits containing important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction and use.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 18 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a large univallate hillfort situated on Aconbury Hill, west of the River Wye. The hillfort has a single rampart and associated external quarry ditch and encloses an elongated area measuring up to 500m long and 137m wide with inturned entrance gaps on the south eastern and south western corners. The rampart is up to 3m high from the interior and up to 5.5m wide. Excavation has revealed stone revetments. The external quarry ditch is up to 1.2m deep on the south and eastern sides and the ditch has an external berm on the northern and western sides. Excavation of the interior and ditch has revealed a large quantity of Iron Age and Roman pottery.
In 1642 Aconbury Camp was held by the Royalists and in 1645 it was held by the Scots Army.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: HE 8
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 110371, Herefordshire SMR:-910, NMR:- SO 53 SW 1
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing