- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001758.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 05:11:55.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 52357 36358
Hillfort known as Dinedor Camp, 620m north east of Dinedor Cross.
Reasons for Designation
Promontory forts are a type of hillfort in which conspicuous naturally defended sites are adapted as enclosures by the construction of one or more earth or stone ramparts placed across the neck of a spur in order to divide it from the surrounding land. The ramparts and accompanying ditches formed the main artificial defence, but timber palisades may have been erected along the cliff edges. Access to the interior was generally provided by an entrance through the ramparts. The interior of the fort was used intensively for settlement and related activities, and evidence for timber- and stone- walled round houses can be expected. Promontory forts are generally Iron Age in date, most having been constructed and used between the sixth century BC and the mid-first century AD. They are regarded as settlements of high status, probably occupied on a permanent basis, and recent interpretations suggest that their construction and choice of location had as much to do with display as defence. In view of their rarity and their importance in the understanding of the nature of social organisation in the later prehistoric period, all examples with surviving archaeological remains are considered nationally important.
Despite excavation, partial afforestation and the insertion of pathways, benches and bins, the hillfort known as Dinedor Camp survives comparatively well with some unusual earthworks. The interior of the hillfort, rampart and ditch will contain layers and deposits containing important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction and use.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 18 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes the remains of a promontory hillfort situated on a slightly sloping spur of Dinedor Hill overlooking the Wye Valley at the rivers confluence with the River Lugg. The monument survives as the visible earthworks and buried features of a promontory hillfort.
The hillfort enclosure is sub rectangular in plan approximately 337m long and 160m wide with an out-turned entrance gap on the eastern side. The hillfort is defined by a steep natural slope on the southern side with an additional escarpment at the south east. A rampart and quarry ditch denotess the remainder of the hillfort averaging 3m high, increasing up to 8m high at the north eastern end with an additional escarpment on the west and north western sides.
Excavations in 1951 revealed large amounts of Iron Age to Roman pottery and artefacts including coins from Galba and Citellius. Neolithic and Bronze Age flints have also been found on the site.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- HE 12
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 110220 & 110180, Herefordshire SMR:- 1278, NMR:- SO 53 NW 26 & SO 53 NW 16
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing