St Peter's Church, Lainston House
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: St Peter's Church, Lainston House
List entry Number: 1001909
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 25-Mar-1949
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: HA 165
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
St Peter’s Church 230m NNE of The Deane House
Reasons for Designation
A parish church is a building, usually of roughly rectangular outline and containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate to its use for Christian worship by a secular community, whose members gather in it on Sundays and on the occasion of religious festivals. Children are initiated into the Christian religion at the church's font and the dead are buried in its churchyard. Parish churches were designed for congregational worship and are generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provides accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which is the main domain of the priest and contains the principal altar. Either or both parts are sometimes provided with aisles, giving additional accommodation or spaces for additional altars. Most parish churches also possess towers, generally at the west end, but central towers at the crossing of nave and chancel are not uncommon and some churches have a free-standing or irregularly sited tower. Many parish churches also possess transepts at the crossing of chancel and nave, and south or north porches are also common. The main periods of parish church foundation were in the 10th to 11th and 19th centuries. Most medieval churches were rebuilt and modified on a number of occasions and hence the visible fabric of the church will be of several different dates, with in some cases little fabric of the first church being still easily visible.
Despite damage to the east end by landscaping in the past, St Peter’s Church survives well with a considerable amount of upstanding medieval fabric. It includes some well preserved architectural details such as the 12th century round-headed doorways. The site is relatively undisturbed and has a high degree of potential for archaeological investigation. It will contain below-ground archaeological and environmental information relating to the use and history of the church.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 18 June 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval parish church, known as St. Peter’s Church, surviving as upstanding and below-ground remains. It is situated on a ridge of high ground to the WSW of Littleton. The church is built flint rubble with stone quoins and dressings, and is now roofless. The upstanding remains include the north, south and west walls of the nave. The north and south walls survive up to about 3.8m high. They include two 12th century round-headed doorways towards the western end, as well as remains of two windows. The west gable wall survives nearly complete to about 6m high. It includes an 18th century three-light, three-centred window. The interior of the church contains an octagonal font and has several 18th century inscribed slabs to the Chudleigh family set into the floor.
St. Peter’s Church was built in the late 12th century, probably by Godfrey de Caritate. It is thought to have fallen out of use, and into ruin, in the 18th or early 19th century.
The upstanding remains are Grade II listed.
Hampshire HER 23668. NMR SU43SW3. PastScape 231850. LBS 145927,
OS maps (1:2500): 1871, 1896, 1910, 1932 ,
National Grid Reference: SU 44242 31591
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001909 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 12:33:08.
End of official listing