Bonner Hall Bridge, Regent's Canal
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001967 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 07:31:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Greater London Authority
- Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 35417 83447
Bonner Hall Bridge, 75m north-east of Sotherby Lodge.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval and post-medieval single span bridges are structures usually designed to carry a road or track over a river by means of a single arch, typically 3m-6m in span. They were constructed for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic. Stone or brick bridges constructed from the medieval period onwards were built with pointed, semicircular or segmental arches. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. The theory and practice of masonry construction for bridges reached a high point in the 18th century. After this time increasing demand led to quicker builds with the adoption of iron bridges and later metal truss bridges.
Despite later damage and alterations, Bonner Hall Bridge survives well. It includes some impressive stonework and cast iron features. The significance of the bridge is enhanced through its association with Victoria Park, a Grade II* registered park.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 19 March 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a mid-19th century single-span bridge over the Grand Union Canal. It is situated on low-lying ground at the end of the Night Walk on the south-west edge of Victoria Park in Hackney.
Bonner Hall Bridge is a segmental arched bridge of red brick with prominent stone voussoirs. The keystone bears a crown and monogram ‘VR’. The parapets above the bridge abutments are finished with stone copings. The parapets above the arch are a series of ornate cast iron strapwork panels linked on their top edge by a cast iron handrail and on their bottom edge set to a substantial granite plinth. The corners of the bridge on the canal towpath are covered with cast iron plates, which exhibit historic wear patterns relating to 19th century rope marks caused by horses towing canal boats.
Bonner Hall Bridge was built between about 1842 and 1845 at about the same time Victoria Park was laid out. The park was designed by James Pennethorne as a memorial to the Sovereign and opened in 1845.
The section of canal under the bridge was originally part of Regents Canal, which was built between 1816 and 1820 to the design of James Morgan, assistant to the architect John Nash. It merged with the Grand Junction Canal and the Warwick Canals to become the Grand Union Canal in 1929.
The northern end of the bridge is within the bounds of Victoria Park, a Grade II* registered park.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- LO 137
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
NMR LINEAR 175, TQ38SE131. PastScape 873173, 1141720
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing