Camp on Keston Common
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002022
Date first listed: 23-Aug-1934
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002022 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:25:15.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Greater London Authority
District: Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference: TQ 41782 64060
Earthwork on Keston Common, 485m ENE of Foxhill Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Despite having been partly destroyed, the earthwork on Keston Common survives well and forms a visible feature in the landscape. It has not been excavated and retains potential for further archaeological investigation relating to its form and function. The significance of the monument is enhanced by its close proximity to other archaeological sites such as Caesar’s Camp Iron Age hillfort. Flint implements have been recovered from the site, providing evidence of Prehistoric activity. The earthwork will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to its construction and use, as well as to the landscape in which it was built.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 30 March 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a linear earthwork, denoted by a single bank and ditch, situated across a north-facing spur of land on Keston Common near Holwood Park.
The bank is about 1.5m high and together the bank and ditch are about 19m wide. The linear earthwork follows an irregular course in a westerly direction from Westerham Road until it slopes down to a combe where it fades away near Heathfield Road. As such it appears to form a boundary across the slope from one combe or valley to another, sealing a small triangle of land. At its eastern extremity the earthwork has been disturbed or destroyed by quarrying and later development, including a car park.
Flint implements were found on the site between 1900 and 1908. Mesolithic flints have since been recovered during quarrying and in 1960 a Thames Pick was also found.
The earthwork is situated just west of a large Iron Age hillfort (included in a separate scheduling) and it is possible that it is contemporary with the fort and perhaps sited to protect the western entrance. The earthwork may have extended east at least as far as Caesar’s Well but gravel digging has destroyed any remnant of it in this area. In 1969, a Romano-British cremation cemetery and likely farmstead were identified at Foxhill Farm about 0.35km to the west of the earthwork and not included in the constraint area. In the early 19th century, troops were billeted on Keston Common during the Napoleonic Wars and earthworks may also have been created in relation to this activity.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: LO 100
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
NMR TQ46SW4, TQ46SW11, TQ46SW27. PastScape 407823, 407846, 407888.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing