Eastgate and stretch of city wall
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002075
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002075 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 17:51:08.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Gloucester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SO 83289 18392
Part of the Roman and medieval Eastgate and town defences of Gloucester.
Reasons for Designation
This part of the town defences of Gloucester were initially created to protect the Roman settlement, and continued with improvements and modifications throughout history up to and including the Civil War whenever the city was under threat. The different elements of these separate phases of refurbishment and re-use can be traced in the surviving fabric and bear witness to the turbulent history of the city and the tenacity of its occupants. They continue to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the development, construction, strategic importance, territorial, social, economic and political significance of the settlement and its responses to perceived chronological threats.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 September 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes parts of the 11th century East Gate, a stretch of Gloucester city wall featuring both medieval and Roman sections, a 13th century gate tower and a 16th century horse pool set into the Roman ditch which were recovered during excavations in 1974 and have been restored and put on public view. The area now lies below a modern shopping centre in the heart of the present city of Gloucester in a specially constructed exhibition chamber which was opened in 1980. Public access is permitted at specified times in the summer. The area above the 13th century gate-tower forms the pavement on the southern side of Eastgate Street and a glass roof has been installed so the archaeological features can be viewed. The exhibition is well visited and has a very clear guide book. It attests to the long period of occupation and defence of the city of Gloucester from the Roman period, through the early and later medieval periods when the defences were strengthened and re-used and also when the same occurred during the English Civil War when these defences were in turn refurbished again during the Siege of Gloucester in 1643. The medieval town gate was first documented here in 1253 and it was in use as a charity school in 1260 and then became a prison until the 18th century when it was finally dismantled.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: GC 468
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape 115474, 115480, 1396637, 1396498, 115428, 115431 and 115479
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing