This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hendall Furnace, 390m north-west of Hendall Manor Farmhouse

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hendall Furnace, 390m north-west of Hendall Manor Farmhouse

List entry Number: 1002238

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maresfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Jan-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ES 419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Iron has been produced in England from at least 500 BC. The iron industry, spurred on by a succession of technological developments, has played a major part in the history of the country, its production and overall importance peaking with the Industrial Revolution. Iron ores occur in a variety of forms across England, giving rise to several different extraction techniques and structures. Ore was originally smelted into iron in small, relatively low-temperature furnaces known as bloomeries. These were replaced from the 16th century by blast furnaces, which were larger and operated at a higher temperature to produce molten metal for cast iron. Cast iron is brittle, and to convert it into malleable wrought iron or steel it needs to be remelted. This was originally conducted in an open hearth in a finery forge, but technological developments, especially with steel production, gave rise to more sophisticated types of furnaces. Hendall furnace is a compact and closely dated site, which survives well. It is a good example and will contain important information relating to iron smelting. The possible location of a later forge on the same site, evident from documentary sources, is of particular interest.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a 16th century blast furnace, wheel-pit, dam, water system and slag heaps surviving as earthworks and below-ground archaeological remains. It is situated between Furnace Wood and Cinder Bank in a narrow stream valley, north of Maresfield in the Weald. The dam, which is approximately 80m long and up to 4m high, is orientated north west to south east across the valley and is breached towards the eastern end by the stream. At the north west end it turns at a right angle and runs northward before terminating against the steep slope of the valley side. At this end is a spillway. About 10m east of the stream is a hollow in the top of the dam and south of it, thought to be marking the site of a loading platform and the ironworking area. A depression in the ground indicates the location of the wheelpit and blast furnace. Heaps of furnace slag and charcoal are visible in this area. An in-situ wooden trough has been found, partially buried, south of the dam, thought to be a flash for the overshot wheel. Documentary sources record that the furnace was in use by 1574, in the ownership of Nicholas Pope. Ralph Hogge, a gun-founder appointed to the queen, occupied Hendall between 1576 and 1581. Archive evidence indicates that there was probably also a forge on the site in 1598. The monument excludes all modern fences and fence posts, gates and gate posts, but the ground beneath these features is included.

Sources: East Sussex HER MES2856. NMR TQ42NE3. PastScape 406753. Crossley, D. 1991. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme. Industrial Monuments: The Iron and Steel Industries. Step 3 report. Version O (Site Assessment 59). Hodgkinson, J. 2008. The Wealden Iron Industry. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. p70.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 47095 25901

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 07:18:42.

End of official listing