Two round barrows SE of Berwick chalk pit
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002253
Date first listed: 20-Mar-1967
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002253 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 09:18:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: East Sussex
District: Wealden (District Authority)
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference: TQ5062504034
Two bowl barrows, 855m NNW of Meadowdown.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period.
Although they have been reduced in height and suffered disturbance from agricultural activity, the two bowl barrows, 855m NNW of Meadowdown will contain archaeological information and environmental evidence relating to the barrows and the landscape in which they were constructed.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 3 March 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes two bowl barrows situated on a ridge of chalk downland north-west of Winton Chalk Pit on the South Downs. The South Downs Way runs a short distance to the west. The barrows have been reduced in height by agricultural activity and survive as slight earthworks and buried archaeological remains. The northernmost barrow survives as a roughly circular-shaped mound about 7m in diameter and 0.3m high. The second bowl barrow is a few metres to the south-east. It a broadly circular-shaped mound about 12m in diameter and no more than 0.6m high. Soil has been dumped on top of the mound in the past, altering its height and shape.
The two barrows are shown on Sussex OS maps (1:2500) of 1874, 1899, 1910 and 1928. A third bowl barrow, associated with the above barrows, is recorded in documentary sources but is now thought to have been levelled by ploughing.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ES 282
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
East Sussex HER MES2677. NMR TQ50SW10. PastScape 408635
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing