This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Slight univallate hillfort 985m north east of Talbot Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Slight univallate hillfort 985m north east of Talbot Farm

List entry Number: 1002484

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dyrham and Hinton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 08-Nov-1928

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: SG 68

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally. Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. In other areas where the distribution is relatively dense, for example, Wessex, Sussex, the Cotswolds and the Chilterns, hillforts belonging to a number of different classes occur within the same region. Examples are also recorded in eastern England, the Welsh Marches, central and southern England. They are rare and important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities. Despite past cultivation and the presence of a road, the slight univallate hillfort 985m north east of Talbot Farm survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial, social and economic significance, trade, agricultural practices, domestic arrangements, potential adaptive re-use and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes a slight univallate hillfort, situated on the summit and tip of a prominent spur called Hinton Hill, overlooking the valleys and confluence of two tributaries to the River Boyd. The hillfort survives as a D-shaped enclosure which measures up to 310m long and 229m wide internally and is defined by a single rampart of up to 10m wide and 2.4m high, with an outer ditch of up to 6m wide and 1.5m deep, which is best preserved to the south and east. To the north, past cultivation and tree growth have reduced the height of the rampart significantly and the associated ditch is largely buried here.

The hillfort was the subject of a limited trial excavation in 1969 when the dimensions of the ramparts were confirmed and the entrance in the centre of the east side was also identified. The hillfort is known by a number of alternative names including 'Dyrham Camp', 'Barhill Camp' or 'Burrills Camp'. It is depicted on various maps including Taylor's map of 1786 and the Tithe Award map of 1841 under these various names. The hillfort was also linked with a battle fought between Ceawlin of the West Saxons against the Britons in c. AD 571 which resulted in the overthrow of the three kings and the sackings of Bath, Gloucester and Cirencester.

The hillfort is bisected by a road which is excluded from the scheduling.

Sources: PastScape 204859 South Gloucestershire HER 1960

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 74116 76838, ST 74126 76669

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 12:22:01.

End of official listing