Remains of medieval buildings ('Abbey buildings')
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Remains of medieval buildings ('Abbey buildings')
List entry Number: 1002720
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Dorset
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 24-Jun-1938
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DO 136
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Part of a medieval manor house known as Abbey Buildings.
Reasons for Designation
The manor was an area ruled by a lord who could exercise certain rights and privileges in medieval England and often lived in a Manor house set apart from the villages where the peasants dwelt. During the medieval period Feudalism was based on the exchange of land, called a fief, for military service. Following the Norman Conquest, William I used this concept to reward his Norman supporters for their help, thus taking the land from the native population and giving it to Norman Knights and Nobles. These parcels of land were known as manors. Under Feudalism everyone owed allegiance to the monarch and their own immediate superior and payment was provided through work days completing required chores or by taking up arms. Not all manors belonged to lords required to provide military service, a substantial proportion was retained by the Crown and the rest were held by bishoprics and religious houses, and those of the latter group tended to be larger. The manors typically varied in size but were most often of between 1200 – 1800 acres. Every noble had one manor and great nobles often had several. The lords who occupied manors invariably built a Manor House, for their immediate family and these were primarily residential and not defensive properties such as castles. The houses varied greatly in size and layout depending on the wealth of the lord but generally included a Great Hall, Solar, kitchen, storerooms and servants quarters.
The part of a medieval manor house known as Abbey Buildings survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, function, social, political and strategic significance, agricultural practices, domestic arrangements, abandonment, adaptive re-use and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17 December 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes part of a medieval manor house situated on the western bank of the River Allen in the settlement of Witchampton. Part of the manor house survives as the upstanding remains of two connected wings forming an L-shaped plan building of two storeys standing up to 4.5m high with a chamber or possible hall in the upper floor of one section and the solar in the upper floor of the other, both above undercrofts with other structures, layers and deposits associated with the upstanding building preserved as entirely buried features. The building is of 13th century origin and contains several architectural features including archways, windows, loops, and buttresses, part of a staircase and polygonal stair turret and some 15th century fireplaces. The building was used for agricultural purposes in the 18th century and became ruinous in the 19th century. It is also known locally as ‘Witchampton Manor’. Hutchins described its use as a very large barn called ‘Abbey Barn’ but concluded it did not ever seem to have been linked with any religious house or church lands but was rather the manor house of the Maltravers. The Abbey Buildings are Listed Grade II.
PastScape Monument No:-514427
National Grid Reference: ST 99079 06341
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002720 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2018 at 01:33:18.
End of official listing