The old prison and pump
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002727
Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002727 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:21:46.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Purbeck (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SZ 02987 78750
Lock up and water pump at Swanage Town Hall.
Reasons for Designation
Lock ups, also known as round houses, blind houses and clinks, are temporary holding places for offenders being brought before the magistrate. Sometimes a cell was located in or under a public building, but most lock ups were purpose built, usually small square, rectangular, octagonal or occasionally circular stone buildings. Most were windowless with one or two ventilation grilles, often set under the eaves or into the single door. The earliest recorded lock up dates from the 13th century, and most fell out of use when police stations with their own holding facilities were established. Less than 300 lock ups are currently recorded nationally, mostly grouped in clusters such as in Essex, West Yorkshire and Derbyshire, with the highest concentrations in Wiltshire and Somerset. In some counties, such as Hampshire, there are no recorded examples. The lock up and water pump at Swanage Town Hall is a rare survival in excellent condition.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17 December 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a lock up and water pump situated immediately north of the Town Hall in Swanage. The lock up survives as a small rectangular gabled stone built roofed building with a barrel vaulted ceiling, a nail studded door and a single window covered with a grille. A commemorative plaque above the doorway is inscribed with the words ‘Erected for the Prevention of Vice and Immorality by the Friends of Religion and Good Order, AD 1803’. Inside is a dished circular setting presumably for ablutions. To the north of the lock up is a painted cast iron decorated water pump surmounted by a ball finial with a semi circular trough also of 19th century date.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: DO 153
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-457483
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing