List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Hexham Bridge
List entry Number: 1002905
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 03-Jul-1964
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: ND 122
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Hexham Bridge, 200m SSW of Bridge End.
Reasons for Designation
Multi span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval and earlier post-medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semi-circular and segmental examples are also known. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges.
Hexham Bridge is an important landmark and an element of the long history of attempts to span the River Tyne at Hexham. Its construction is closely linked to development of the turnpike road and is indicative of the effects the roads had on local economy, infrastructure and communication.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 16 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a bridge of 18th century date, which spans the River Tyne at Hexham. The bridge is constructed from tooled and margined ashlar masonry. It has nine arches of which the central arch is the widest with the remainder decreasing in width from the centre outwards. The arches are segmental with narrow chamfers and stepped keystones, except for the outermost pair which are of three-centred form with alternating rusticated voussoirs. The piers of the bridge have chamfered bases and triangular cutwaters with stepped tops below blind keyed oculi in the spandrels of the arches. The parapets have shallow pilasters above the crowns of the arches and at each end splay out to form wing walls with octagonal end piers, except on one side of the north end where the wing wall has been replaced by railings. On the east face of the northern abutment a date of 1795 is inscribed.
There is a long history of attempts to bridge the River Tyne at Hexham. First documentary reference to a bridge occurs in 1263 and subsequently in 1324. These bridges did not last and during the 15th and 16th centuries the main form of crossing was by ferry. The opening of the Hexham to Alnmouth turnpike in 1751 necessitated a new bridge at Hexham. A bridge of seven arches was completed in 1770 but was destroyed in the Great Flood of 1771. This bridge was replaced by a nine arch bridge built in 1780 and designed by John Smeaton, but the bridge was destroyed in winter floods in 1782. All of these previous bridges spanned the River Tyne at different points. The current bridge was built by William Johnson and Robert Thompson, following Smeaton’s previous bridge designs but with piling and other measures to improve its stability. The bridge was completed between 1793 and 1795. In 1967 the parapets were moved from their original position in order to widen the bridge to allow foot passengers. Hexham Bridge is a listed building Grade II*.
PastScape Monument No:- 18694
National Grid Reference: NY 94069 64673
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002905 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2018 at 08:04:15.
End of official listing