Three barrows N of Penn Hill
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1003062
Date first listed: 27-Mar-1958
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003062 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 12:01:42.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish: Bradford Peverell
National Grid Reference: SY 64506 92881, SY 64518 92942, SY 64537 92928
Three bowl barrows 735m south east of Higher Muckleford Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite significant reduction in the heights of the mounds through cultivation the three bowl barrows 735m south east of Higher Muckleford Farm will retain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 12 January 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into three areas, includes three bowl barrows situated on the upper west facing slopes of a spur to the north west of Penn Hill overlooking the River Frome. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived. The mounds vary in size from 16m up to 29m in diameter and from 0.2m up to 0.3m high. They form an outlying group to a nearby round barrow cemetery which is the subject of a separate scheduling.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: DO 354
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-453791
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing