Reasons for Designation
Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them, contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite some disturbance caused by partial excavation of at least two of the barrows and later landuse, the round barrow cemetery, including 'Tich Barrow', 730m north east of Trehane Pool survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, longevity, social organisation, territorial significance, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
The monument, which falls into six areas of protection, includes a round barrow cemetery, situated close to the summit of a prominent hill known locally as Tich Barrow Beacon. The cemetery survives as six circular mounds, arranged in two distinct groups of three. Each barrow has a surrounding buried ditch, of varying sizes, from which material for the construction of the mound was derived. The northern group has three bowl barrows which range in size from 22m to 35m in diameter and from 0.8m to 2.2m in height. The most northerly of the group appears to have an early excavation hollow. There is an Ordnance Survey triangulation pillar on its top which is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included. The other two barrows in this group have been cut slightly by tracks crossing their edges.
The second group of bowl barrows lie to the south. The easternmost is 'Tich Barrow' which measures up to 34m in diameter and 3.6m high. It was excavated by JD Cook in 1864 and proved to have a complex internal structure of various layers of different types of material, covering a cist which contained the skeleton of a very tall individual. It became known locally as the 'Giant's Grave'. A modern water tank was constructed on the mound in the 1950's. This is excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included. In 1972 the A39 road was realigned and Trudgian carried out a partial excavation on the north west perimeter of Tich Barrow. He found undisturbed deposits, a retaining kerb of flat laid stones, and post or stake holes. Finds from his excavation included Bronze Age pottery, one cup marked and one holed stone, and some Iron Age or Romano-British artefacts. There are two further bowl barrows to the west, measuring up to 18m in diameter and 0.6m to 0.9m high.
PastScape Monument No:-434112, 434142, 434145, and 434139