Round barrow N of Chedworth Roman villa
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Round barrow N of Chedworth Roman villa
List entry Number: 1003346
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 17-Aug-1948
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: GC 201
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Bell barrow 585m west of Hutnage.
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows (particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. They are a particularly rare form of round barrow so all identified bell barrows be considered to be of importance.
Despite partial early excavation the bell barrow 585m west of Hutnage will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a bell barrow situated on the western slopes of the valley of the River Coln. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring 26m in diameter and 1.5m high surrounded by a visible berm of 3m wide to the north west and south east surrounded by a 4m wide and from 0.5m up to 1.1m deep quarry ditch from which the construction material was derived and with an outer bank of 6m wide and from 0.3m up to 0.5m high. There is a deep central excavation hollow which produced a central cist and urn containing a cremation, this is on display in the nearby Chedworth Roman villa museum. A blue glass bead is also believed to have originated from this barrow.
PastScape entry 327589
National Grid Reference: SP 05110 13931
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003346 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2018 at 03:51:43.
End of official listing