This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval settlement of Southorpe and field system, north east of Southorpe Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval settlement of Southorpe and field system, north east of Southorpe Farm

List entry Number: 1003469

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hornsea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ER 162

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time. Field systems are an important part of medieval rural economy, and should be considered in context with their associated rural settlements. The medieval settlement of Southorpe is well preserved and a good example. Important archaeological and environmental information survives undisturbed: this will provide valuable evidence relating to the construction, use and abandonment of this settlement, as well as contributing to the diversity of medieval settlements surviving nationally. Its situation on the southern bank of one of the regions most important bodies of fresh water adds to its interest, as it will provide information about the relationship of the settlement with the adjacent mere, historically an important source of water, food and building materials. The survival of part of the associated field system also adds to the importance of the monument.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a medieval settlement, known as Southorpe, and part of its associated field system, situated on gently rising ground on the south side of Hornsea Mere. The settlement is visible as a series of well defined earthworks, standing up to 1.5m high including hollow-ways running both east to west and north to south marking former lanes flanked by raised house platforms representing the sites of former buildings and small farmsteads, each with attached enclosures outlined by low banks. Around the occupation area there are the earthworks of part of the associated medieval field system surviving as ridge and furrow. Documentary sources indicate that the settlement, was in existence by 1086 and cottages were recorded here until the 17th century. However, by 1809 the settlement had become abandoned. Towards the centre of the monument there is a World War II pillbox. SOURCES PastScape Monument No:- 80651 (settlement), 913339 (pillbox) NMR:- TA14NE5 (settlement), TA14NE16 (pillbox) Humber SMR No:- 3549

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 19583 46374

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003469 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 02:23:32.

End of official listing