Deserted village of Norton Sub Edge SE of White's Farm (now Norton Sub Edge Farm)
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1003589
Date first listed: 12-Jun-1959
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003589 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:48:23.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish: Weston Subedge (DET)
National Grid Reference: SP 13625 43144
Moat and deserted medieval village 160m south of White’s Farm.
Reasons for Designation
The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time. Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat and deserted medieval village 160m south of White’s Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, longevity, social, political and economic significance, agricultural practices, trade, industrial activity, domestic arrangements, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a moat and surrounding deserted medieval village situated on relatively low lying and gently sloping ground immediately to the north of a tributary to The Cam. The moat survives as a trapezoidal shaped platform measuring up to 63m long by 45m wide defined by a 12m wide ditch. This represents the site of a moated house and to the south are a series of restored fish ponds and to the north and west radiating out from the moat are hollow ways formed by banks and ditches which run between the boundary banks and building platforms of numerous farmsteads, dwellings and ancillary buildings all preserved as clearly defined and extensive earthworks. The village of ‘Norton Sub Edge’ also included a church or chapel which is known through documentary evidence although its exact location is not clear.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: GC 400
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing