Madehurst Wood earthworks

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1003736

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1933

Map

Ordnance survey map of Madehurst Wood earthworks
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 15:48:44.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Arundel

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Madehurst

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Slindon

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Walberton

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 97844 08356

Summary

Earthworks in Madehurst Wood, 790m ESE of Chichester Lodge

Reasons for Designation

The earthworks in Madehurst Wood, 790m ESE of Chichester Lodge survive well. They have been relatively undisturbed and are located in an area with little modern development. As such they hold a high degree of potential for further archaeological investigation. They will contain important archaeological and environmental information relating to their construction and function, as well as the landscape in which they were built. It is clear that the earthworks are very unusual in form and for this reason must be considered of archaeological interest in a national context . The surrounding area has many archaeological features, which thereby enhance their group value.

History

See Details

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

DESCRIPTION The monument includes a series of earthworks situated in woodland on the slopes of a ridge, east of Slindon.

The most prominent feature is a linear earthwork denoted by a bank and ditch, which commences in West Stubbs Copse and runs over 1km north, passing between Rewell Wood and Madehurst Wood. At the brow of Rewell Hill it turns abruptly westwards and continues for 430m before ending just above the lower end of Fairmile Bottom. On historic OS maps two lynchets are shown running south from this section, following the contours. To the south-east are two sunken roadways or holloways between banks, which lead north-east to three rectangular enclosures denoted by banks and ditches. To the west is an old chalk pit.

The earthworks are thought to be contemporary with each another, although only the prominent linear earthwork is shown on historic OS maps. It may originally have formed part of another earthwork south of Arundel Road. Romano-British and early medieval pottery sherds have been found in association with the monument. It has been suggested that the enclosures were medieval stock enclosures since the area formed sheep runs prior to emparkment in 1786.

Further archaeological remains survive in the vicinity of this monument, such as an enclosure, but are not included because they have not been formally assessed.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: WS 44

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

Sources

Other
West Sussex HER 1305 - MWS3271. NMR SU90NE24. PastScape 248955.

End of official listing