- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003752 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:29:02.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Runnymede (District Authority)
- Spelthorne (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 05412 66625
Chertsey Bridge, 81m ESE of The Kingfisher Public House
Reasons for Designation
Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. Stone or brick bridges constructed from the medieval period onwards were built with pointed, semicircular or segmental arches. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. The theory and practice of masonry construction for bridges reached a high point in the 18th century. After this time increasing demand led to quicker builds with the adoption of iron bridges and later metal truss and suspension bridges. Chertsey Bridge is a fine example of a late 18th century multi-span bridge, which is very well preserved with excellent stonework and cast iron features. It is monumental in form with good proportions and is thought to be the least altered of the Thames bridges designed by James Paine.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
DESCRIPTION The monument includes a late 18th century multi-span stone bridge situated on Chertsey Bridge Road over the River Thames, east of Chertsey. It was designed by James Paine and built between 1783 and 1785. The bridge has five principal segmental arches over the water, the centre of which is widest, with one more each side brought forward slightly and spanning the bridge approach. It has a plain ashlar parapet with a band at the base and capping above. There are cast-iron ornamental panels over the spandrels and breakwaters. On the south side are pointed cutwaters with rounded tops at the springing of the arches. Chertsey Bridge was built slightly upstream from an earlier bridge it replaced, which dated to 1541 and had become ruinous by 1779. It underwent alterations in 1894 and minor restoration work in 1991.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- SU 68
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
NMR TQ06NE49. PastScape 394356.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing