Cromwell's Arch and adjacent arch
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Cromwell's Arch and adjacent arch
List entry Number: 1003831
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Bovey Tracey
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 23-Jan-1948
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DV 213
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Two medieval arches at the eastern end of Abbey Road, Bovey Tracey.
Reasons for Designation
The arches in Abbey Road, Bovey Tracey are probably the only remains of an ecclesiastical institution which had been established here during the medieval period. Such institutions were suppressed in 1539 as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, although some smaller institutions did survive until 1547 when they were dissolved by Edward VI. The Priory which existed here possibly had links to a hospital.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 3 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into two areas, includes two medieval arches situated at the eastern end of Abbey Road in Bovey Tracey. The eastern arch survives as a high, wide pointed arch up to 2.6m high and 2.6m wide made from moulded granite. The west face has a rebate for a door and holes for a latch and there is a single hinge pin on the southern side. The western arch is of similar construction and measures up 2.1m high and 1.4m wide and has no evidence for hinges or fastenings. It forms the entrance to a graveyard. Both arches date to the 15th century. The smaller arch bears an inscription of 1823 which probably relates to its re-erection. Both arches are the remnants of a religious foundation on this site which may have been part of Indio Priory connected with St John’s Hospital at Bridgwater. The original chapel was demolished in 1822 when the present Baptist Chapel was built.
Both arches are Listed Grade II.
PastScape Monument No:- 446859
National Grid Reference: SX 81501 78499, SX 81510 78491
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003831 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 06:25:55.
End of official listing