Stoke Hill camp
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1003841
Date first listed: 12-Nov-1950
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003841 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:40:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SX 92635 95699
Slight univallate hillfort 270m south west of Stoke Hill Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth -fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by either a simple gap in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Slight univallate hillforts are rare nationally, although in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. Slight univallate hillforts are important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities. Despite reduction in the height of the rampart through cultivation the slight univallate hillfort at Stoke Hill survives comparatively well and will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use and landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 4 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a slight univallate hillfort situated on the summit of a prominent ridge known as Stoke Hill Camp, overlooking the Exe Valley. The hillfort survives as an oval enclosure measuring up to 216m long by 120m wide internally, defined by a single rampart measuring up to 0.5m high and a partially buried outer ditch which is up to 2.5m deep. There is a simple entrance on the east side. A partial excavation by Ralegh Radford in 1935 produced 1st century AD pottery and some iron slag. A medieval reference to ‘Castrom de Rokysdon’ is linked to this monument.
A Roman signal station surviving south-west of this monument is the subject of a separate scheduling.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: DV 249
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No: 448195 and 448210
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing