Double stone alignment on Isley Marsh 535m north of Lower Yelland Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1003847

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1970

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Double stone alignment on Isley Marsh 535m north of Lower Yelland Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:04:45.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Fremington

National Grid Reference: SS 49142 32884

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Stone alignments or stone rows consist of upright stones set in a single line, or in two or more parallel lines, up to several hundred metres in length. They are often sited close to prehistoric burial monuments, such as small cairns and cists, and to ritual monuments, such as stone circles, and are therefore considered to have had an important ceremonial function. Stone alignments were being constructed and used from the Late Neolithic period to the Middle Bronze Age (c.2500-1000 BC) and provide rare evidence of ceremonial and ritual practices during these periods. Although no longer visible, the stone rows at Isley Marsh will survive well, having been preserved under tidal silt deposits for many years. They will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the construction, use and landscape context of the monument. They may also represent part of a much greater expanse of early prehistoric activity, which cannot be observed or formally assessed because it is submerged in the extensive silt deposits of this important estuary.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument includes a double stone alignment situated on the tidal mudflats of the estuary of the River Taw. The alignment survives as up to 16 stones arranged in a pair of parallel rows. The distance between the two rows is approximately 2m. The stones of both rows are arranged in pairs up to 2.5m apart. The stone alignment is in a tidal estuarine location and for several years has been completely submerged by silt. In 1932, the tallest stone was 0.4m high above the silt. Partial excavation produced nine pairs of stones or stone sockets, a scatter of flint tools and some evidence for occupation during the Mesolithic, Neolithic and Early Bronze Age. At the time of its discovery in 1932, the rows were up to 56m long. By 1983 only seven stones were still visible above the mud and subsequently they have disappeared from view.

Sources: DEVON HER:- 5507 NMR:- SS 43 SE 6 and SS 43 SE 8 PastScape Monument Nos:- 33321 and 33327

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: DV 173

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing