Windbury Head camp
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Windbury Head camp
List entry Number: 1003864
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 10-Aug-1923
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DV 73
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Hillfort at Windbury Head.
Reasons for Designation
Hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, situated on or close to hilltops and are defined by one or more lines of earthworks. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Smaller hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, and external ditch and counterscarp bank. They are important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities, as well as indicating social and economic activity in the periods they represent.
Despite the effects of coastal erosion, the hillfort at Windbury Head survives comparatively well and will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use and landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 22 October 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a hillfort on the summit of a hill called Windbury Mead, which forms part of the north Devon cliffs at Windbury Point overlooking the Bristol Channel. The monument survives as an elliptical enclosure measuring up to 90m by 35m internally, defined by a rampart which measures up to 7m wide and 2m high, with an outer 6m wide buried ditch on three sides, whilst the northern edge is formed by the steep cliff. The hillfort was historically used as the site of a coastal beacon.
A possible outer rampart 60m to the south, appears on the 1886 ordnance survey map as a lynchet, but this is not included within the scheduling because it has not been formally assessed.
PastScape Monument No:- 32280
National Grid Reference: SS 28642 26633
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003864 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 07:39:43.
End of official listing