Deserted medieval village 630m north-west of Clannacombe Plantation

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1003886
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1934
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Deserted medieval village 630m north-west of Clannacombe Plantation
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003886 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 08:30:14.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Brendon
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 79180 44367, SS 79302 44458

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits which provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy through time. The deserted medieval village 630m north west of Clannacombe Plantation survives well in an area of open moorland with little present day occupation. It will include important archaeological structures, layers and deposits containing information relating to its construction, use and abandonment as well as environmental material concerning the surrounding landscape context.

Details

The monument includes a deserted medieval village situated in a valley at the confluence between Hoccombe Combe and Badgworthy Water on a south facing slope. The deserted medieval settlement survives as a series of banked enclosures, building platforms and structures with drystone walls. The enclosures are mainly rectangular in plan, although one is subcircular and these define gardens or paddocks of varying sizes. The remains of approximately 14 separate buildings with drystone walls standing up to 1.2m high are scattered throughout the valley location. Some of these buildings are single-celled structures, several have at least two cells and one has up to five rectangular rooms. A chapel and hermitage are recorded here. The village is bisected by a probably contemporary track that crosses the Hoccombe Combe and Badgworthy Water at natural fords. Ridge and furrow, a field system and trackways are present. The foundation of the village is recorded in a charter of c. 1170. It is also noted in the Domesday Book as 'Lacoma'. The final mention of the village was in 1430 suggesting it was already becoming ruinous. The village has also been associated with the fictional novel 'Lorna Doone ' by R D Blackmore (1869) as the supposed home of the murderous Doone clan and was recorded as 'Doone Valley' on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map. The Doones were not fictitious and were exiled from Scotland to Exmoor from 1616 to 1699 but there is no direct evidence for their occupation.

Sources: NMR:- SS74SE14 PastScape Monument No:- 35247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
DV 51
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].