Two milestones at West Kingsdown

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1004196
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1979

Map

Ordnance survey map of Two milestones at West Kingsdown
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 22:19:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
West Kingsdown
National Grid Reference:
TQ 56962 63898, TQ 59064 61599

Summary

Two milestones situated on the east side of the A20 London Road at West Kingsdown.

Reasons for Designation

Milestones are both an important testament to the development of the transport network and are reminders of different perceptions of distance in a pre-motorised age. In the mid-eighteenth century milestones became prevalent after turnpike trusts were encouraged to provide markers on roads. They often display a notable amount of individuality before the late 18th century.

Despite having suffered some damage, the two milestones at West Kingsdown survive well. They date to at least the 19th century and are situated on a significant route to London.

History

See Details.

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 8 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes two milestones, in two separate areas of protection, situated on the east side of the A20 London Road at West Kingsdown.

The milestones are constructed of cast iron fitted to a shaped stone backing. They are approximately 3 km apart. That to the north reads: London 20, Wrotham 4, and Farningham 3. That to the south reads: Ash, Wrotham 2, Farningham 5, Ramsones. The milestones are shown on Kent OS Maps (1:2500) published in 1885, 1896, 1909 and 1939.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
KE 336
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Sources

Other
NMR TQ 56 SE 14, TQ 56 SE 15. PastScape 410263, 410264. ,

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].