This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Three bowl barrows, once part of a round barrow cemetery, at Barrowfields

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Three bowl barrows, once part of a round barrow cemetery, at Barrowfields

List entry Number: 1004369

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newquay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 28-May-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 619

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. The three barrows at Barrowfields remain the last surviving barrows of a once large, extensive and important group situated on the coast. Despite partial early excavation, they will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which falls into three areas of protection, includes three bowl barrows, once part of a round barrow cemetery, situated on the summit of cliffs in the centre of Newquay Bay, overlooking the offshore stacks of Lusty Glaze. The south western barrow survives as a roughly circular mound of clay and stone with an irregular profile. It measures of up to 20m in diameter and 2.5m high, and is surrounded by a partially-buried rock cut ditch of up to 0.6m deep. The cairn was first recorded in 1840 when it was partially excavated by Canon Roger. It had already been partially quarried and the material from it used for agricultural fertiliser. He discovered a base of flat slabs covered with and partially overlying burnt material. On top of the slabs was a small cairn containing an urn filled with fragments of bone. The small cairn was in turn covered with a thick layer of stone-free clay. Roger recorded that several other urns had already been removed and destroyed. The central barrow survives as a crescent-shaped mound of up to 22m in diameter and 1m high, which has been cut on the southern side by a putting green and fence. The quarry ditch is preserved as a buried feature. The fence is excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath is included. The north eastern barrow survives as a roughly circular platform of up to 12m in diameter and 1.3m high, best preserved to the north, with the traces of a largely-buried quarry ditch to the north east. It is crossed by an older field boundary bank to the south west which is associated with ridge and furrow. The barrows formed part of an extensive linear round barrow cemetery of at least fifteen barrows at Barrowfields, the largest of which had been used as sea marks. Three barrows were destroyed between 1819 and 1821 and produced numerous cremation urns; one single barrow contained at least five arrow heads, an inhumation in a cist, further cists containing burnt bone and various internal stone built structures. The remaining barrows in the group were due to be removed later and the events were recorded in the West Briton newspaper of 1819 and 1821 and also extensively recorded by Borlase in 1872 although no further details are known.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-429343 and 429373

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 81924 62148, SW 82013 62220, SW 82064 62280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 07:15:22.

End of official listing