This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Part of a cliff castle called Crane Castle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Part of a cliff castle called Crane Castle

List entry Number: 1004390

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Illogan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 04-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Cliff castles are coastal promontories adapted as enclosures and fortified on the landward side by the construction of one or more ramparts accompanied by ditches. On the seaward side the precipitous cliffs of the promontory provided a natural defence, only rarely reinforced by man-made features. Cliff castles date to the Iron Age, most being constructed and used between the second century BC and the first century AD, although some were reused in the medieval period. They are usually interpreted as high status defensive enclosures, related to the broadly contemporary classes of hillfort. The inner area enclosed at cliff castles varies with the size and shape of the promontory; they are generally in the range 0.5ha to 3ha, but a few much larger examples are known, enclosing up to 52ha. The area of many cliff castles will have been reduced by subsequent coastal erosion. The ramparts are of earth and rubble, occasionally with a drystone revetment wall along their outer face. Ditches may be rock- or earth-cut depending on the depth of the subsoil. The number and arrangement of ramparts and ditches varies considerably and may include outworks enclosing large areas beyond the promontory and annexes defining discrete enclosures against the landward side of the defences. Multiple ramparts may be close spaced or may include a broad gap between concentric ramparts defining inner and outer enclosures. Entrance gaps through the defences are usually single and often staggered where they pass through multiple ramparts. Cliff castles are largely distributed along the more indented coastline of western Britain; in England they are generally restricted to the coasts of north Devon and Cornwall. Around sixty cliff castles are recorded nationally, of which forty are located around the Cornish coast. Cliff castles contribute to our understanding of how society and the landscape was organised during the Iron Age and illustrate the influence of landscape features on the chosen locations for prestigious settlement, trade and industry. Despite significant coastal erosion and visitor erosion, the part of a cliff castle called Crane Castle survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, date, re-use and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes part of a cliff castle, situated on the edge of a prominent coastal cliff known as Carvannel Downs, overlooking Basset's Cove. The cliff castle survives as part of a double rampart with ditches measuring up to 85m and 71m long and averaging 2.3m in height. The partially buried ditches are up 2m wide and 1.5m deep. The first references to the cliff castle are found in 1530 and 1635 when 'Castelle Cliff' is mentioned in connection with a wreck on the coast nearby. It was visited by Borlase in the mid-18th century and his report shows it to have been in a similar condition to now. Tangye identified and planned a large rectangular enclosure extending to the south, but this is thought to be a medieval or post medieval field utilising the prehistoric ramparts and is not included in the scheduling.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-426191

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 63487 43969

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004390 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 11:23:16.

End of official listing