Slight univallate hillfort immediately south west of Gear

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1004430

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1956

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Slight univallate hillfort immediately south west of Gear
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:13:27.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Martin-in-Meneage

National Grid Reference: SW 72093 24805

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally. Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. They are relatively rare as a hillfort type and are important understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age. Despite some disturbance to the interior through cultivation and the erection of buildings, the slight univallate hillfort immediately south west of Gear survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, social organisation, territorial significance, agricultural practices, domestic arrangements and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a slight univallate hillfort, situated close to the summit of a north west-facing ridge, overlooking the Helford River. The hillfort survives as an irregular-shaped enclosure of approximately 6ha defined by a single rampart of up to 1.7m high internally with a partially buried outer ditch of up to 0.6m deep. There are entrances to the north, now cut by farm buildings and to the west. On the western side of the enclosure a park pale, defined by a revetted wall and outer ditch, is situated within the ditch of the hillfort and to the south the same park pale incorporates part of the rampart and ditch earthworks. To the south east the rampart and ditch have been cut by a duck pond. The buildings are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath them is included. The place name Gear is derived from the Cornish 'ker' meaning 'fort' or 'round' and it first appears in documents dating to 1262-6. Polwhele writing in 1803 was the first to describe the hillfort.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-427434

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 436

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing