Multi-span bridge called Polyphant Bridge, 110m north of Polyphant Green

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1004452
Date first listed:
05-Nov-1954
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Multi-span bridge called Polyphant Bridge, 110m north of Polyphant Green
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:35:45.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lewannick
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
South Petherwin
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Trewen
National Grid Reference:
SX 26646 82307

Reasons for Designation

Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Despite flood damage and later repairs, the multi-span bridge called Polyphant Bridge survives comparatively well and is a rare survival following the flood on the River Inny in 1847.

Details

The monument includes a multi-span road bridge which crosses the River Inny at Hicks Mill near Polyphant. The bridge survives as a double arched bridge with a post and rail parapet. The eastern arch is the earliest and has double arch rings, whilst the western arch, rebuilt in 1847, has a round arch ring. The central pier has a cutwater on both sides capped with a triangular slab of granite. The walls on both sides are topped with half-rounded granite coping stones. The parapet is formed by granite posts with steel tube rails. Originally of 17th century construction, the west arch was rebuilt following a flood on 8th July 1847 when all the other bridges on the River Inny (except for Trekelland Bridge) were destroyed. Further restoration was carried out by 'RC and RJ in 1953' with a written inscription in the cement.

The bridge is Listed Grade II (68413).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-436311

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 384
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].