White Tor camp, Cudlipptown Down
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: White Tor camp, Cudlipptown Down
List entry Number: 1004584
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Devon
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Peter Tavy
National Park: DARTMOOR
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 26-Apr-1956
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DV 363
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Slight univallate hillfort known as Castle Dyke.
Reasons for Designation
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access to the interior is often provided by a simple gap entrance. Slight univallate hillforts are rare nationally, although in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. They are important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities. Despite being cut by a road to the south and some erosion caused by visitor erosion in the form of tracks and paths, the slight univallate hillfort called Castle Dyke survives comparatively well and will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use and landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 5 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a slight univallate hillfort known as Castle Dyke, situated on the summit of Little Haldon Hill overlooking the valley of Smallacombe Goyle. The hillfort includes an oval enclosure which measures up to 90m long by 76m wide internally, defined by a single rampart bank measuring up to 1.5m high and a partially buried outer ditch which is up to 0.5m deep. To the east is a simple entrance with a causeway over the ditch. The ditch has been cut to the south by a road. The hillfort is referred to as ‘Eordbirig’ in a charter of 1044.
Two barrows a short distance east of the hillfort are not included within this scheduling because they have not been formally assessed.
PastScape Monument No:- 447664
National Grid Reference: SX 54240 78673
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004584 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 09:50:09.
End of official listing