This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Part of a mining complex 210m south of Nancegollan Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Part of a mining complex 210m south of Nancegollan Farm

List entry Number: 1004610

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Crowan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 1061

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Cornwall and West Devon, has been one of the major areas of non-ferrous metal mining in England. It is defined here as prospecting, extraction, ore processing and primary smelting/refining, and its more important and prolific products include copper, tin and arsenic, along with a range of other materials which occur in the same ore bodies. The 18th century saw technological advances turning to the mining operations. During this period, Cornish-mined copper dominated the market, although it was by then sent out of the region for smelting. The development of steam power for pumping, winding and ore processing in the earlier 19th century saw a rapid increase in scale and depth of mine shafts. As the shallower copper-bearing ores became exhausted, so the mid to late 19th century saw the flourish of tin mining operations, resulting in the characteristic West Cornish mining complex of engine houses and associated structures which is so clearly identifiable around the world. Ore processing increased in scale, resulting in extensive dressing floors and mills by late in the 19th century. Technological innovation is especially characteristic of both mining and processing towards the end of the century. Arsenic extraction also evolved rapidly during the 19th century, adding a further range of distinctive processing and refining components at some mines; the South West became the world's main producer in the late 19th century. From the 1860s, the South West mining industries began to decline due to competition with cheaper sources of copper and tin ore from overseas, leading to a major economic collapse and widespread mine closures in the 1880s, although limited ore-extraction and spoil reprocessing continued into the 20th century. The part of a mining complex 210m south of Nancegollan Farm survives well and includes an engine house and chimney so characteristic of this industry. Its importance is viewed on a local, national and global scale as it bears witness to an important industry in this part of Cornwall.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes part of a mining complex, situated to the east of the settlement of Nancegollan. The complex survives as a beam engine house; parts of the boiler house; a capped mine shaft; and detached chimney stack. The engine house is rectangular in plan. It stands to full-height and is roofless. Built from granite, it has brick-lined arched windows and an arched doorway. It once housed a 40 inch pumping engine which was advertised for sale in 1873. The engine house was built in the mid 1860's.

The nearby detached chimney stack was built in the mid-19th century and heightened in the 1860's. Circular in plan, it tapers upwards and is built of dressed granite with a moulded granite collar and brick upper stages. The boiler house connected with the engine house survives as foundations only.

The mine was known as Nancegollan Mine or Florence United Tin Mine The engine house and chimney are Listed Grade II (65870) and (65871).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-426030

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 63995 32331

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 05:47:53.

End of official listing