Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005133
Date first listed: 17-Jun-1980
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005133 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 23:37:28.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Ashford (District Authority)
District: Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TQ 86761 44686
Sherway Bridge, 312m SSW of Sherway Cottages.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval and early post-medieval single span bridges are structures designed to carry a road or track over a river by means of a single arch, typically 3m-6m in span. They were constructed throughout the medieval period, most commonly using timber. Stone began to be used instead of timber in the 12th century and became increasingly common in the 14th and 15th centuries. Many medieval bridges were repaired, modified or extensively rebuilt in the post-medieval period. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. Bridges were common and important features of medieval and post-medieval towns and the countryside and allowed easy access along a well developed road and trackway system.
Despite late alterations and additions, Sherway Bridge survives well with a significant amount of 17th century masonry work. Deposits buried underneath the bridge will preserve valuable artefactual, ecofactual and environmental evidence, shedding a light on the human and natural history of the site prior to the construction of the bridge.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 8 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a 17th century single-span bridge situated over the River Sherway, east of Headcorn in the Low Weald.
The bridge is constructed of ragstone with a later brick parapet. An inscribed stone on the north-west side of the bridge records that it was built by the constables of the Hundreds of Iron and Calehill in 1683. A further inscription, on the back of the stone, states that it was partly rebuilt in 1846.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: KE 360
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Kent HER TQ 84 SE 9. NMR TQ 84 SE 9. PastScape 417815,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing