Gateway to Brook Farm, Hillborough
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005153.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 18:44:43.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Canterbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 22024 68116
Tudor Gateway, 24m north-east of Brook Farmhouse.
Reasons for Designation
Archways are often large, freestanding structures that are monumental in form. They were used systematically from the Roman period onwards, although a broader range of styles developed throughout the medieval period in England. Archways often provide an imposing entrance way to a building or site of significance. They are sometimes situated at the start of a long avenue or processional way that enhances the setting of a particular site or building.
Despite some later damage, the Tudor Gateway, 24m north-east of Brook Farmhouse survives well. It is largely unaltered and includes some significant architectural details such as the four-centred archway, triangular pediment and octagonal brick pinnacles.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 18 December 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a Tudor gateway situated on low-lying ground on the west side of Brook Lane at Brook Farm, east of Hillborough.
The gateway is built of red brick with a four-centred arch, originally supported on bottle-shaped brick pillars. The pillar to the south survives in its original position, although that to the north has been removed. Above the arch is a cornice, a triangular pediment and a parapet, which is surmounted by three octagonal brick pinnacles. There are two buttresses on the west side of the gateway.
The gateway was built in about 1580 and originally led to Brook Farmhouse. Brook Farm is recorded in the 14th century and the farmhouse incorporates some Tudor brickwork at the rear, although it was largely rebuilt in 1834.
The gateway is Grade II listed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- KE 140
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
NMR TR26NW6. PastScape 467098. LBS 170663
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing