Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005164
Date first listed: 25-Mar-1948
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005164 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 00:20:25.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TR 14887 57862
A medieval undercroft and the remains of a guildhall, 82m east of The County Hotel.
Reasons for Designation
A guildhall is traditionally, the hall of a crafts, trade, or merchants' guild although the term is now often used to describe a town hall. The former guildhall at Canterbury incorporates significant remains of a medieval undercroft. Medieval undercrofts are stone built with vaulted bays and were used for the storage of provisions or items of special value. Placed beneath a building they could thus be kept under close supervision. Although undercrofts are sometimes referred to as cellars, they were not necessarily built entirely below ground level, but, where they are sunken into the ground this can aid their preservation when the building falls into disuse or is replaced by a later structure.
Despite later damage and alterations, the medieval undercroft and the remains of the guildhall 82m east of The County Hotel survive comparatively well. The site contains some significant architectural details such as a medieval pilaster, capital and the springing of an arch. It retains potential for the recovery of archaeological and environmental information relating to its construction, use and history.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 18 December 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval undercroft and the remains of a guildhall situated at the corner of High Street and Guildhall Street in Canterbury. The exterior of No.11 High Street is modern but within and beneath are medieval remains. In the basement is a medieval stone undercroft dating from about 1200.
The walling on the east side of the undercroft contains the remains of a pilaster, capital and the springing of an arch, the other side of which would have rested on the central pillar. Above the undercroft are the remains of a medieval guildhall of six bays, dating from about the 14th century. The main walls are of flint and chalk rubble. It has a roof with moulded tie-beams and wall plates. The two bays nearest to the High Street are apparently a later addition, perhaps of the late 17th century. The side facing Guildhall Street was faced with an ornamental brickwork facade in 1700. The guildhall was entirely remodelled and covered with cement rendering in 1904.
The upstanding remains are Grade II listed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: KE 99
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
NMR TR 15 NW 52. PastScape 464729. LBS 170639.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing