- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005344.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 13:25:00.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 60844 42507
Moat 355m south east of Glyndarth.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat 355m south east of Glyndarth survives well and has documentary evidence relating to its abandonment and has been recently cleared, it will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, maintenance, social and political significance, adaptive re-use, abandonment, longevity and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a moat situated in the Yarkhill Marsh on the northern bank of a small meander in the River Frome. The moat survives as a rectangular central platform measuring up to 58m long by 51m wide defined by an outer ditch from 6.5m up to 20m wide at its widest point to the east, which is known to be of variable depth and which does hold water since recent re-puddling, clearance and restoration. The central platform has a partial rim bank of up to 4.5m wide and surrounding the moat is a similar partial outer bank of up to 9m wide.
The platform had a drawbridge on the eastern side in 1900 and the half-timbered house which occupied the platform was documented as having been left by the Vevers family in 1804 (recorded in family diaries) and reports the house as having been dismantled in around 1870. It once formed part of the Foley estate. Pottery found in the fill of the moat implied a 12th to 13th century origin and further 18th century material suggests the moat may have been re-used as a mill during the 18th century.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- HE 179
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape 112356, Herefordshire SMR 1581
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing