Five bowl barrows south of Newton Farm forming part of a round barrow cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1005437

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1975

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Five bowl barrows south of Newton Farm forming part of a round barrow cemetery
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:46:19.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Juliot

National Grid Reference: SX1301393466, SX1305493448, SX1340993209, SX1352693146, SX1379593086

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite partial excavation and interference caused through agricultural activity the five bowl barrows south of Newton Farm forming part of a round barrow cemetery survive well and will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which falls into five areas of protection, includes five bowl barrows, situated along the summit of a prominent coastal ridge, overlooking Hill Downs and the coast. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried quarry ditches, from which their construction material was derived. They form a linear arrangement, aligned north west to south east, the northern two forming a closely spaced pair and the others more evenly distributed. The northernmost barrow measures 15m in diameter and 1.3m high. To the south east, the second barrow is 27m in diameter and 1.3m high. The third barrow, known as 'Lousey Barrow', is 25m diameter and 3.4m high with a deep central depression and a trench. It had an Ordnance Survey triangulation pillar erected on it in 1880, and a Second World War Home Guard observation post built into it in 1940 following excavation by CK Croft-Andrew. The excavation discovered a complex internal structural sequence and two burials, one a cremation and the other an extended inhumation, surrounded by a ring of beaker pottery sherds. Five small cists beneath a cairn which had been covered with turf were recovered. The fourth barrow is 15.5m in diameter, 1.4m high and has been cut by a hedge and a silage clamp. The final barrow measures 29m in diameter and is 1m high. It is bisected by a field boundary.

The field boundaries, triangulation point and silage clamp are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.

Other barrows which form part of the cemetery are the subject of separate schedulings.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-434716, 434719 and 434722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 948

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing