Templeman's Farm round barrow
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005591.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 17:01:10.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 20206 21869
Bowl barrow 115m north west of Templeman’s Old Farmhouse.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite modification following the installation of a water tank the bowl barrow 115m north west of Templeman’s Old Farmhouse survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 16 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a bowl barrow situated on the summit of a hill overlooking two dry valleys. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring approximately 24m in diameter and 2.3m high surrounded by a quarry ditch of up to 5m wide and 0.5m deep from which the construction material was derived. The mound is flat topped and there are four concrete plinths of 0.8m wide, 0.5m thick and 2m high which formerly supported a water tank between 1934 and 1948.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- WI 428
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape 223132, Wiltshire HER SU22SW602
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing