Coultershaw beam pump
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005817 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:04:09.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Sussex
- Chichester (District Authority)
- National Park:
- SOUTH DOWNS
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 97208 19409
Coultershaw Beam Pump, 46m SSW of Coultershaw Farm House.
Reasons for Designation
Coultershaw Beam Pump, 46m SSW of Coultershaw Farm House, is a rare survival of a water-powered beam pump. It marked a significant 18th century innovation in the development of mechanised water supply. It is the only known survival of an almost exact copy of George Sorocold’s pumps erected under London Bridge in 1705. George Sorocold was an engineer from Lancashire who was hugely influential in pioneering work in water supply. He introduced pumps worked by water-wheels, which rose and fell in accordance with the level of the river or stream. As a surviving example of this design, albeit later in date, Coultershaw Beam Pump is of national importance.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 30 October 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. .
The monument includes a water wheel-powered triple beam pump built in 1782 to supply water to Petworth House. It is situated on the east side of the Rother, just south of Coultershaw Bridge near Petworth.
The water-wheel, which is 3.4m in diameter, was renewed in the 19th century and is cast iron framed. It was originally undershot but is now breast shot and drives a three-throw crankshaft which swings three beams pivoted at one end through connecting rods. The pump plunger rods are connected to the outer free ends of the beams. Water is pumped at a rate of over 90,000 litres per day along a 2.4 km cast iron pipeline to an underground cistern on Lawn Hill in Petworth Park.
The pump was originally sited in the basement of Coultershaw Watermill. However after the mill was destroyed by fire in the 1920’s, a weather-boarded barn with a tiled roof and brick footings was brought in to replace it. The beam pump was restored during the 1980s.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- WS 484
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Sorocold, George (c.1668–1738?) , accessed 29-JUL-2009 from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/47971. [Accessed 29-JUL-2009
West Sussex HER 1617 - MWS2720. NMR SU91NE29. PastScape 249351
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing