- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005867.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 16:25:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Sussex
- Chichester (District Authority)
- Trotton with Chithurst
- National Park:
- SOUTH DOWNS
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 83656 22387
Trotton Bridge, 120m SSE of St George’s Church
Reasons for Designation
Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. Medieval multi-span bridges must have been numerous throughout England, but most have been rebuilt or replaced and less than 200 examples are now known to survive. As a rare monument type largely unaltered, surviving examples and examples that retain significant medieval and post-medieval fabric are considered to be of national importance.
Despite some limited repair work and alteration, Trotton Bridge survives in a good state of preservation. It is one of the finest multi-span stone bridges over the River Rother.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
DESCRIPTION The monument includes a medieval multi-span stone bridge situated over the River Rother in the village of Trotton. It carries the A272 from Petersfield to Midhurst.
The bridge has five semi-circular arches, each strengthened with five chamfered ribs. Massive buttresses with triangular cutwaters rise to the level of the parapet on each side. The parapets have been rebuilt but are likely to have originally included recesses for the protection of foot passengers. The bridge is reputed to have been built in about 1400 by Thomas Camoys, who commanded the rearguard at the Battle of Agincourt (1415). However some sources provide a late 16th or 17th century date. Part of the parapet stonework was repaired in the late 20th century.
The bridge is Grade I listed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- WS 71
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Leland, J. L. 2008. ‘Camoys, Thomas, Baron Camoys (c.1350-1420/21)’ in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography., accessed 10-JUN-2009 from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/4461
Salzman, L.F (ed). 1953. Victoria County History: A history of the county of Sussex. Volume 4: The Rape of Chichester, pp. 32-39. , accessed 10-JUN-2009 from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41691
West Sussex HER 1131 - MWS5656. NMR SU82SW19. PastScape 246901. LBS 413060.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing