Goblestubbs Copse earthworks
List Entry Summary
Name: Goblestubbs Copse earthworks
List entry Number: 1005895
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: West Sussex
District Type: District Authority
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 24-Feb-1933
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: WS 59
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Earthworks in Goblestubbs Copse, 548m NNE of Foxes Cottages
Reasons for Designation
The earthworks in Goblestubbs Copse, 548m NNE of Foxes Cottages survive well. They have been relatively undisturbed and are located in an area with little modern development. As such they hold a high degree of potential for further archaeological investigation. They will contain important archaeological and environmental information relating to their construction and function, as well as the landscape in which they were built. Despite the uncertainty concerning their origin it is clear that the earthworks are unusual in form and for this reason must be considered of archaeological importance in a national context. The surrounding area has many archaeological features, which enhance their group value.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
DESCRIPTION The monument includes a series of earthworks situated on a gentle south-facing slope in woodland north of the A27 near Walberton.
The earthworks include rectilinear enclosures, denoted by one or more banks and ditches, connected by linear sunken trackways of bivallate construction. There are two enclosures immediately adjacent to each other orientated NNE to SSW. The enclosure to the north is surrounded by banks 0.6m high, either side of a ditch about 4m wide and 0.6m deep. It encloses an area about 35m square. The enclosure to the south is of similar form, although it encloses an area about 20m long by 10m wide. A linear sunken trackway runs NNE just to the east of the enclosures. Several further trackways appear to branch off from it and provide access to the enclosures. To the north of the enclosures is another linear ditch or sunken trackway, orientated WNW to ESE.
The earthworks have traditionally been associated with medieval stock enclosures since the area formed sheep runs prior to emparkment in 1786. A partial, unpublished, excavation was carried out in the 1970s, which indicated that the earthworks may be of Iron Age or Romano-British origin.
Further archaeological remains survive within the vicinity of this monument. Some such as nearby earthworks in Madehurst Wood are scheduled, but others are not because they have not been formally assessed. There are two earthwork enclosures and a sunken trackway or ditch immediately to the south-east of the monument, which are likely to be associated with it.
West Sussex HER 1307 - MWS2285. NMR SU90NE16, SU90NE37. PastScape 248921, 248996.
National Grid Reference: SU 98406 07504
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005895 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 08:08:21.
End of official listing