Earthwork in Holt Wood
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005935 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 00:38:13.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tandridge (District Authority)
- Chelsham and Farleigh
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 38089 59238
Medieval earthwork and buried settlement remains in Holt Wood, 370m NNW of Garden Cottage.
Reasons for Designation
The medieval earthwork and buried settlement remains in Holt Wood, 370m NNW of Garden Cottage survive well and contain information relating to the construction and function of the site and the environment in which it was constructed. The monument has been shown by excavation to retain surviving evidence of medieval farm buildings.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 27 November 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval earthwork, denoted by a bank and ditch, and buried archaeological remains. It is situated on flat ground in the south-east corner of Holt Wood. The earthwork is kite-shaped, with two long straight sides on the north-west and south-west sides and two shorter sides to the north-east and south-east. It measures approximately 200m WNW-ESE and 150m NNE-SSW transversely. The earthwork is denoted by a single bank and ditch with an entrance in the centre of the north-west side. The bank is approximately 0.5m high by 3m wide and the ditch falls 1.5m below the top of the bank and is 2m wide. A deep water-filled depression traditionally known as ‘Smuggler’s Hole’ is located on the south-west side of the earthwork. The associated spoil mound overlies the inner bank. These features are likely to post-date the earthwork in the later medieval period. The earthwork was partially excavated between 1955 and 1958. A large amount of pottery dating from the 13th century was found in and around the earthwork indicating that it is of early medieval origin. Two late 13th century domestic hearths and flooring of a modest type of dwelling were also uncovered. In addition the gravel flooring and post holes of 15th and 16th century farm buildings were revealed. The earthworks are likely to be associated with the nearby medieval manor house in Henley Woods, which is a separate scheduled monument.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- SU 133
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Surrey HER 1192. NMR TQ35NE7, TQ35NE14. PastScape 403724, 403747.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing